This week I’ve started a new commission for Harefield Hospital
and made some dye bundles at the first community workshop
The patchwork continues to grow (on the cat, as usual!)
I rarely get a day just stitching, so attending a workshop on Indian embroidery was a real treat this week.
Some preparation for my artist residency day
and some stitching stains during the residency day
I reworked The Beauty of Stains, making the stains permanent through stitch.
I’ve made a lot of paper pieced patchwork for Narrative Threads.
I’ve started a birthday present for my mum but I’m not going to show it here in case she looks. I know she doesn’t look at Instagram.
I even made a fascinator for a workshop sample.
I’ve started my research visits to museums to inspire new work for my solo exhibition Narrative Threads.
This week’s creative endeavours include decorating, curtain-making, skirt-making, patchwork and embroidery. Its been good to be making, almost every day.
Yet more hexagon patchwork, whilst hiding upstairs during building work at home.
The work at home involved the installation of this:
and dealing with the preparatory and subsequent chaos of furniture and dust everywhere.. then the inevitability of this:
Its not been the most creative of weeks but it has been worth it!
Week 11 was a complete whirlwind of final works and installation of Interlace exhibition which is now up and looking fabulous!
I was also hurtling through finishing a quilt for a big birthday present at the same time as opening the exhibition. It was more than a little close to the wire getting it done but it was nice to have lots of sewing to do.
As an aside, I am teaching this type of improv(ised) patchwork later in the year, along with the paper pieced type too. Find out more here.
Since the exhibition opened, things have been somewhat different and the pace of life changed completely with a few sunny, chilly days on a canal boat. There’s a lot of work to do on a boat, and lots of walking and exploring, but there was time for some simple making too. I’m slowly working on a very time-consuming piece for my Narrative Threads exhibition and making hexagon patchwork with antique fabrics, also for the exhibition.
I’m also working on the easiest bit of knitting ever – yards and yards of icord made from scrap yarn to make into long, loop necklaces.
The last few weeks have had a lot of the petal-making for Interlace. We’re now into the final days before the exhibition so mounting and finishing is the order of the day. I’m lucky to have had two work experience students working with me in March, who have been invaluable in the exhibition preparations.
The students and I have also started transferring textile memories onto cloth.
In between all this I have made a little progress on my two patchwork projects, and finished knitting a cowl on the last day I was off sick last week.