I offer mentoring for individual makers, business development talks for students and makers at all career stages
Talks & workshops for students and makers include
- Funding creative practice
- Portfolio careers
- Publishing (details below)
- Running workshops
- PR and promoting your work
- Non-product crafts practice (exhibitions and projects)
Workshops cover the same material as talks but include activities and individual discussion and group support towards problem solving.
We were privileged to have Ruth talk at our recent Creative Garden networking event about her journey as an artist, writer and teacher. Her inspiring career as a pr
actitioner has left a positive impression with our students and we hope that they will be encouraged to follow their hearts and pursue a career in the creative industries. I strongly recommend any school, college or university to add Ruth to your industry network for workshops, guest speaking and seminars, as she was an absolute pleasure to work with and is a fountain of knowledge with enthusiasm and passion.
Jon Prest, Creative Director, Seed Creativity. 2016
I have worked with Creative Leicestershire and Ornamentum to run a series of training events for emerging and mid-career makers during 2014 and continue to research the skills needed for makers to develop sustainable careers.
Understanding the publishing world for artists and makers
This session will explore ways for designer makers to get their writing / work published in books and magazines and covers the following areas
- writing and promoting professional blogs that get you noticed by publishers
- writing practical projects for craft magazines
- articles for other publications such as professional magazines
- working for book publishers on single projects
- writing your own book proposal for craft publishers
- publishing deals – how to assess the options
- do you need a literary agent and how to get on
- having your work included in a book
Ruth Singer is a textile artist and maker. Over the last five years she has published three books with different publishers, written numerous articles for UK and American books and magazines and has wide experience in the world of craft publishing.